Oral piercing has become a popular form of self-expression, especially among young people. It’s a fashion statement that can look cool and trendy. People may choose to pierce their tongue, lip, cheek, or uvula. However, what may look fashionable on the outside may cause significant harm to your oral health? Oral piercings and jewelry can lead to a range of dental problems along with complications such as gum disease, cracked teeth, nerve damage, and infections. Dentistry at The Grove is a top-recognized dentist in Burlington Ontario that can help you with all your dental care needs. We are also an emergency dentist in Burlington offering 24h emergency dental care.
The mouth has an abundance of bacteria, so oral piercings can quickly become infected. Bacteria can enter the bloodstream through open wounds on the mouth, which can lead to severe health problems. Common signs of infected piercings include swelling, tenderness, redness, and pus discharge. Antibiotics are often prescribed to treat infections, which can be costly and time-consuming.
Oral piercings and jewelry can irritate and damage delicate gum tissues, leading to gum recession and increased exposure of the tooth roots. The risk of gum disease is higher with oral piercings due to the presence of bacteria in the mouth. Symptoms of gum disease include bleeding, sore gums, bad breath, and loose teeth.
Oral piercings can cause cracks in your teeth, especially if they come into contact with your teeth when talking, eating, or sleeping. Cracked teeth can lead to significant pain and can even result in the need for root canal therapy, tooth extractions, or dental implants. If you are not careful when brushing or flossing, the piercing’s metal can also scratch your teeth, which can cause tooth sensitivity and enamel erosion.
The tongue, lips, and cheeks are all sensitive and have a lot of nerve endings. If a piercing is done incorrectly, it can damage nerves leading to permanent numbness, loss of taste or speech, and difficulty with chewing or swallowing. Nerve damage is a severe complication that can be irreversible and may require surgery to fix it.
The alloys used in oral jewelry, particularly those that contain nickel, can cause metal allergies, leading to allergic reactions such as blisters, hives, and redness. If you experience any allergic reactions, it’s advisable that you remove the piercing immediately and seek medical attention from a dermatologist.
Oral piercings may look trendy and fashionable, but they come with severe hidden dangers that can be detrimental to your oral health. Severe infections, gum disease, cracked teeth, nerve damage, and metal allergies are all potential risks to consider before getting any oral piercings or jewelry. It’s advisable to consult with a dental professional for advice on potential risks and dental procedures. When it comes to your oral health, it’s always better to err on the side of caution.